Project 2 revision
On October 25, 1938, the United
States Congress passed the Fair Labor Standards Act, which established the
first mandated minimum wage. The first wage was set at $0.25 per hour, which
equates to $4.55 in 2020 with inflation (2009). In 2020, the federal minimum
wage is $7.25 per hour. While states have manipulated this wage to fit cost of
living, $7.25 is the federal law (2020).
Since
1938 the minimum wage has been increasing not only with inflation but to
accommodate peoples wants for higher pay for work. In 2020, the mainstreamed
new standard for minimum wage, which was set by the political left, is $15 per
hour. The left proclaims that this is a “living wage” and allows people to not
have to work as much to provide for themselves and their family. The political
right is split between abolishing the minimum wage or keeping it the same. They
claim that an increase in wages would consequently cause a rise in
unemployment. This causes heated discussion on which proposal is more
efficient, weighing consequences and benefits.
The
artifacts that will be analyzed use rhetorical appeals to appeal to readers and
attempt to persuade them to succumb to their views and proposals regarding the
minimum wage. The first article is a published article by an Austrian
economist, arguing for no minimum wage, and the second artifact is a book
urging for a $15 minimum living wage. Both artifacts use different appeals to
engage with their audience.
Outlawing
Jobs: The Minimum Wage
The
first artifact is an article titled “Outlawing Jobs: The Minimum Wage”, from a
book titled "The Free Market" written by Murray N. Rothbard.
Rothbard is an American economist of the Austrian school of Economics. Rothbard
is considered the theoretician of anarcho-capitalism and was a central figure
in the 20th century libertarian movement. He has written over
twenty books on economics, revisionist history, politics, and more. Rothbard
was a leading figure in the Austrian School of Economists and was a strong
advocate for no state (government) and no minimum wage laws. He believed that
the free market alone left untouched would provide a fair wage determined by
the mutual agreement between employer and employee.
Rothbard
begins his writing by expressing that minimum wage laws can only be regarded in
one way, “it is compulsory unemployment, period.”. (Rothbard, 2019) He
demonstrates his point using authoritative language. He states, “The law says:
it is illegal, and therefore criminal, for anyone to hire anyone else below the
level of X dollars an hour”. (Rothbard, 2019) Rothbard uses this language to
demonstrate that government mandated laws are evil and only provide evil and
tyranny. This is an attempt to use pathos with his readers to view not only the
minimum wage laws as evil, but the government evil as well. This is his second
purpose in his writing, which is to make his case that all forms of government
are evil, but that is not the subject here. Rothbard also provides examples from
his previous knowledge based on experience to demonstrate his point. He states
“If the minimum wage is, in short, raised from $3.35 to $4.55 an hour, the
consequence is to disemploy, permanently, those who would have been hired at
rates in between these two rates. Since the demand curve for any sort of labor
(as for any factor of production) is set by the perceived marginal productivity
of that labor, this means that the people who will be disemployed and
devastated by this prohibition will be precisely the "marginal"
(lowest wage) workers, e.g. blacks and teenagers, the very workers whom the
advocates of the minimum wage are claiming to foster and protect.” (Rothbard,
2019). This is a statistical attack on the minimum wage argument, which is extremely
effective in most cases of political argumentation and also financial
argumentation. He also appeals to minorities and teenagers by stating that
these laws would hurt them and not help them. This is an attempt to grab a
specific audience and drag them to his opinion.
The
Fight for Fifteen: The Right Wage for a Working America
The
second artifact is a book written by David Rolf, titled “The fight for fifteen:
The right wage for a working America”. David Rolf is an internationally
known labor leader and is a leading architect to get a living wage in SeaTec
and Seattle, WA. He serves as an International Vice President of the Service
Employees International Union (SEIU), and the President of SEIU 775. Rolf has
been advocating for a living wage of $15 for most of his career, and has been
published in The American Prospect, The Nation, Aspen Journal of Ideas, Social
Policy, and Spotlight on Poverty. (Rolf, 2020). Rolf writes his book to
persuade his readers to advocate for a $15 federal minimum wage.
The
cover of the book depicts a revolution or protest in the top of the frame. The
color has been filled red to fill in the outlines of the people, and below to
create a solid red background. The title of the book is written in medium to
medium-small sized white text, apart from the word large $15 in the center of
the cover. This is much larger than the other textual components and is meant
to be the center of attention. This is demonstrated by it being the only black
filled text on the cover and its abnormally large size. There is also the word
“Fight” which has been emphasized by enlarging the text slightly, putting it in
the top center of the cover above the $15, and underlining the word. (Artifact
2)
This
publication was in 2016, which is a presidential candidate race. The date is an
important factor in persuasion of political opinion, as the closer to a
political election you can persuade someone, the more likely they are to vote
on your behalf and are less likely to change their mind. The top of the cover
being a depiction of a protest or riot demonstrates the word “Fight” in the
title. Also, red is a physiological color for anger, or revolution. This is an
example of pathos used by the author in moving the audience to feel enraged by
the current system and is trying to persuade them that a revolt must take place
to get their living wage. The large, black colored $15 stands out
significantly. This is to attract the readers attention and to demonstrate that
this is the main subject of the book. The size of it was used by the author to
emphasize the importance of it. The more important something is on his cover,
the larger it is, and therefore “fight” and “$15” are the two biggest texts on
the cover. This is also used as almost an angering image. The bigger the object
and issue, the more emotion that will be involved within the dicussion. The
author is using an emotional appeal with these image to make them feel
emotional about this topic. This can be expressed in sympathy for the people who
are working for little pay, and then anger or intensity in fighting for more
pay.
Genre
Analysis
The
article written by Rothbard is a publication from a book titled The Free
Market. Rothbard targets a large audience that ranges from economic
students, to anyone interested in a point of view on the political topic. His
target and main audience is Austrian economic students who align with his
political views. It could also be targeting those who are on the political
right. These are considered "fiscally conservative" people, who
advocate for lower taxes, and keeping the minimum wage the same as they believe
that businesses cannot afford this. He also targets those who want a $15
minimum wage because he demonstrates that many of them will not get the new
wages promised, but instead will get fired and become unemployed because of
these policies. He uses several rhetoric appeals to appeal to his targeted
audience to create happiness and to entice those who do not agree with him. He
uses rhetoric appeals to emphasize the evil that minimum wage presents and
draws in his audience with his vocabulary.
The
second artifact is a published book that advocates for a $15 minimum wage. This
does not have a specific argument, but instead attempts to address every
audience group because of his motive. His motive is to persuade as many people
as he can and is attempting to persuade people to vote a certain way, almost
revolutionary. His target audience is the political left, and minimum wage
workers. These are people who will find interest in his work and his proposed
policies. It will benefit the minimum wage workers and he is trying to appeal
to them. This is demonstrated by his rhetoric appeals, specifically his use of
color schemes, and font sizes and emphasis. If he were to target a specific
audience, it would be the political left. This political spectrum is very
conducive to the $15 minimum wage and are considered the founders of the idea. This
helps his case as they would advocate for this policy the most. His rhetoric
appeals attempt to start a revolution within the United States and advocate for
a $15 federal minimum wage.
Conclusion
Both
artifacts presented use rhetoric appeals to address their targeted audiences.
Even though they were advocating on the same topic, they had different rhetoric
appeals to demonstrate their point. One was advocating for a raise to the
minimum wage and the other advocated for the abolishing of it. Neither
advocated for the stagnation of the wage. They both used pathos, but that was
the only common factor. Overall, both artifacts provided use rhetoric appeals
to attempt to use persuasion to advocate for their personal beliefs on a
politic and economic subject.
Artifacts:
Major Writing Reflection:
My major of choice is Finance in the
FSU Business school. I have always excelled in math and numbers and they have
interested me all my life. While I like math and numbers, when letters get
involved my mind goes to mush. I did not enjoy pre-calculus or Algebra 2
because there were more equations with letters than equations with just purely
numbers. While I am aware that this is an important concept to understand for
moving forward, I did not enjoy it.
I
was unsure of which major to choose. I applied to FSU as an Actuarial Science
major and then later realized that the job of an Actuary does not fit the
lifestyle I want to live in the future. Actuaries are similar to the characters
in movie shows, as they sit in a cubicle for an 8-hour job and do not have much
of a life. This is not to put down actuaries, but this is just my perception of
the occupation and does not appeal to me.
Money
has also enticed me for my lifetime. As a child, I always wanted more money,
and I always wanted to spend money. As young as 12 years old I have had a job,
with the definition a job being stretched to either chores or mowing lawns.
Basically, I had side jobs or hustles as young as 12. I always wanted to have
an income to make my life better and buy things that I wanted. Finance appeals
to this because it revolves around one aspect, money. I am good at math, good
with numbers, and like the idea of computing ways to create formulas around
money. I also like the idea of economics as well, but finance incorporates
economics within itself. Economics helps form finances and plans around
finance.
Finance
seems to be the best fit for a major for me as of right now. Over time my
opinion may change, but as of now my perception of this major will fit my life
the best. It incorporates math and money which is something that has great
appeal to me.
Paragraph 4 from Project 1
Accounting is a job that you can have with a finance degree,
but if you are set out to be an accountant, the actuarial science or accountant
majors may provide the same or better outcomes. There are also some suggestions
that students should begin to take both courses at the same time. They could
enroll in one major but also take classes from other majors, such as
accounting, so that they are better prepared for the future. Let’s Combine
the Accounting and Finance Majors. Financial Executive, suggests that only
focusing on the aspects of one major may be detrimental to your future because
of tunnel vision. To quote directly, Bloom states “majoring in any single
discipline in college today — whether accounting, communications, economics or
other areas — is ill advised. Given the complexity of the world and the
importance of learning, pursuing one subject area creates a sense of “tunnel
vision” as opposed to a broad-based outlook.” (2013, Bloom, pg16) This suggests
that the world around us is too complicated for an individual to only have one
skill set, and in the modern world they require several skills to succeed. It
could improve the chances of you getting the job that you desire as well. If
you are not sure which job that you would like but know that you want it to be
related to finance, this may be a great route for that individual. Finance jobs
are always going to be necessary because of the current system of economics
that we currently have. With everything revolving around prices and costs, finance
majors are needed to maintain things that ordinary people cannot. This includes
economics, finance, and decision making based on these characteristics. Tunnel
vision will be the death of an individual in the field of finance.
Reflective Essay
Throughout the course of the summer
semester and taking ENC2135, I feel that I am more experienced in not only
writing, but in specific parts of writing I had never thought of before. I now
have understood the writing style of my major better than I did before taking
this class. This will help me in the future in writing papers for my major. The
three main things that I have learned throughout this course. First are
different genres, second is how to compose papers efficiently and structure
them more efficiently, and lastly rhetorical strategies that are used to
strengthen an argument and persuade an opinion.
Project
1 was the most challenging project in my opinion. Not only did I have to do
deep research into my major, but I also had to analyze the text I chose. To
find 6 professional publishing about the financial field, I used the Florida
State University online library. This was a significant help in finding
articles, books, and publishing regarding the Finance major. I also had the
challenge of finding out how to conduct an interview. I had to choose which
question were the right to ask, and what I was trying to achieve with them. I
felt as though I was a journalist trying to get a story, and then publishing
the writings in a way that would be professional yet not boring that the reader
would shy away. This project helped me understand my future in the major,
the difficulties that I my face within the major, and helped me understand how
to write an investigative essay as well. This project was not my favorite to
write, but possibly the most important.
Project
2 included artifacts and rhetoric strategies. These were new concepts to me, so
I had to pay close attention not to misinterpret. This was one of my favorite
projects however, because I got to analyze one of my favorite authors, Murray
Rothbard, and describe his use of genre and his rhetorical strategies to get
his point across. I also then had to look at the opposite point of view and
analyze their artifact and rhetoric appeals. The topic was the $15 minimum
wage, so I had the for and against perspectives. Both shared similar rhetoric
appeals, but also had some that had different effects.
Project
3 was somewhat difficult, as I had to create 3 genres to use for a topic in my
field. I chose the 15 minimum wage law, as I had prior experience and knowledge
with this law. This was a political, economic, and financial issue that
addressed multiple fields along with my own. I had to use different rhetoric
appeals that I had learned from Project 2 to display my talking points. The
different appeals help different target audience understand and interact with
the genre more efficiently.
To conclude, ENC2135 has helped me understand where I
stand with my writing, but also helped me understand my future within my major
and helped me understand the writing format that my major uses (APA). I have
written in MLA throughout high school, so this was incredibly beneficial. I
have learned new concepts, such as genres and rhetoric appeals, and grew upon
concepts that I had previously learned, such as composition and structure of
writing. This class will help me throughout my college journey, and I am
incredibly thankful for the help that Mrs. Wilson has provided to me.
Comments
Post a Comment